Thursday, August 6, 2020

Use of Time During Quarantine Week

 time seems different. It feels like I'm doing less but more is getting done, but also there's this floating feeling b/c I'm doing stuff in the same space. I broke it down between then and now....

WORK

-Normal TV writers' room (including travel): 10 hrs a day/50 hrs a week

-TV writers' zoom room: 4 hrs a day/20 hrs a week

- total saving: 30 hrs

GYM

-Normal Gym time (including walking, shower, etc): 

2 1/2 hrs, 5 X a week: 11 hrs 

-Working out at Home: 45 minutes 4 X a week: 3 hours

-total saving: 8 hrs

ENTERTAINMENT

-Normal Theatregoing (including subway, waiting, etc):

 4 hrs, 4X a week: 16 hours 

-Zoom Theatre: 1 hr, maybe 2X a week: 2 hrs 

-total saving: 14 hrs

RESTAURANTS/GROCERY STORES

Normal (including subway): 3 hrs, 3-4 times a week: 12 hrs

Homecooking and Instacart: 1 hr, 7 x week: 7 hrs

-total savings: 5 hrs a day

SCREEN TIME (including laptops and phone)

Normal Screen time: 6 hrs/day, 7X a week: 42 hrs

Quarantine Screen time: 10 hrs/day, 7 X a week: 70 hrs

Total deficit: -28

WEEKLY TOTAL: I am saving 57 hrs a week, which is like adding an extra 2 days added to the calendar, BUT...

-I am also using screens (b/c of work, entertainment, ordering food, ordering groceries) 28 more hours every week! Which is a lot. It is like having one day just devoted to be on screen. 

Overall I still feel like that is a net total of an extra 29 hrs every week I'm not on a subway, walking somewhere, waiting for food in a restaurant, shopping in person, and 4 hrs every day we are not at work on EVIL or THE GOOD FIGHT. 

-The question is...would you want to go back to the way it was before?

 Of course I want the gym back. I want theatre back and to see people at work...but at the expense of adding an extra 47 hrs back to my week? A lot of my writing in contemplating and I think this extra time is why I'm writing so fast now. Granted some of that contemplation was happening before quarantine when I was walking and on the subway and waiting for food...but this is quieter and more focused. I have an extra 2 days of more focused thinking, mulling an idea around, and rewriting. I think this is why tv writers' rooms are becoming so efficient on zoom. Most writers HATE zoom but grudgingly admit that time flies by and scripts are getting cranked out b/c they're only at work 3-6 hrs a day, and they no longer have to worry about getting dressed, transportation. The awful convenience of zoom rooms means that writers are saving an entire day of planning, dressing, transportation.

No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...