Saturday, August 22, 2020

Conversations with Aunt Barbara

Aunt Barbara Cross called me today. Her voice always soothes me. Now that she's approaching the big 8-0, she has softened and her voice moves a slightly slower pace. Nevertheless, it's still enjoyable to hear from her. She wanted to tell me about my family. So I pulled up my google document that has become my memory reservoir and let her talk....

-your grandmother (Mema aka Lynn Maddox) was a pinup girl for the war. She was in NYC. It wasn’t bathsuit pinups. It was uplifting poster of women in army uniform with a little cap that they made back then. Your grandmother was so pretty. And that’s how she met Stanley’s dad. And your dad has a half-brother. (this part I do know because I drove with my Dad to meet his half-brother 15 years ago).

Squire’s from Barbados are lawyers and business people. 

Mother Squire’s dad came from Ireland...County Cork. It’s the county right next to where my daughter’s husband’s ppl come from. He came cross country by himself and shoe’ed horses. And when he got to Florida he met Mother Squire’s mom. I was maybe 6 then. He was a very tall man and very slender, had a beard. Mother Squire’s sister was Aunt Sade. But her last name was Meriwether. He was at her home and they had this big house with a wraparound porch. He was standing up there with his walking cane and he looked so distinguished. His name was O’Toole and when he got to America they were rough on Irish and he went to the black community and changed his name to Taylor. 

And then Mother Squire was from Barbados and all the Squire’s back there are doctors and lawyers. 

Prophecy pt....
I can see things. And your name isn’t an accident. It’s going to be known by everyone. 


 

No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...