Thursday, May 16, 2019

Killing Anger


From a reliable source...I heard that before Singleton had his fatal stroke he was flying out to shoot something and he vowed to 'have it out' with one of the creatives on SNOWFALL. He had been unhappy with a lot of thing on the show. Apparently, this confrontation/argument/whatever happened. A day or so later he had a stroke. I heard this info a few days ago and I was processing it. I don't share this to cast aspersions on SNOWFALL because I don't know the particulars. Even though I have heard numerous stories about the toxicity of their writers' room, I don't know what the argument was about or who was right....but does it matter? I'm trying to think of a creative argument worth having that would justify me losing my health or life....and I can't think of one.

My Dad worked as a teacher for over 30 years. The year before he retired I went down to Miami and observed him in the classroom. Something had shifted. He had become angry at the kids. I told him 'please don't yell at them.' He looked insulted, like I was taking their side in the generational arguments. But I was trying to reach him. He didn't work out, he ate bad food...but he had been a sort of jolly fat man for most of my life. I told him that he was now adding anger/stress into the equation of junk food/sedentary life. The people in my family like to say we have 'good genes.' We can get by on eating shit and sitting on our ass and no one has a heart attack or dies in their 40s or even 50s. I actually have grandfathers and grandmothers who died peacefully in their sleep at an old age...without the terror of hospitals or tubes and monitors.  But we can't add stress. The second we do that it's eliminated every single one of my family members. My Dad laughed at my thesis. When he drove me to the airport I repeated what I said a few more times. He kept ' Okay, Dr. Squire' in a sarcastic tone. The discussion continued via text as I was waiting to board my plane. Almost a week later he was in the hospital with a massive stroke. Once that stroke happened, he was hit with several more. This was a year before retiring with full pension/benefits. He planned on retiring and traveling across American in a Winnebago with my mom. Now he had 18 months to live according to most doctors. Miraculously, he's still around 13 years later because...well, remember what I said about the genes? But his physical/mental abilities have degenerated significantly. He's bed bound. The Winnebago tour never happened. Whenever I see him I wonder about those last few arguments before the first stroke: what was he arguing about with the kids or his boss? Was it worth it? Could he even remember?

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...