Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Williamsburg Bar Conversations

Williamsburg Bar Conversations: the bartender handed me my dinner bill and asked me if I'm a PI b/c of my card. No, that is my S-Corp. "I Prefer Pi" is a palindrome that I like. The guy sitting next to me asked if he should get an S-corp b/c he has a salmon fishing business...in Alaska. He flies out there with a partner, catches a ton of fresh salmon on a boat, sells it on the docks, and then brings back about 50 lbs of salmon in a cooler to hand out to friends in Brooklyn. Okay, that is specific.

I asked him what he does in Brooklyn and he said he's a fireman. His firehouse had a busy week. A mother dropped off a newborn baby. That's interesting because I worked on a show where that is a plot point in the pilot. The fireman said it was the first time he's experienced that, but they sat the mother down, made her breakfast and coffee. She explained that she couldn't take care of the child. The fireman debated whether or not to keep the child in the firehouse or send him home with one of the married men. I said...hmmm, that's funny b/c that was in the show I worked on. THIS IS US? He stared at me. No? Never heard of... okay, go on with your story.

The fireman said that they were seriously considering adopting the kid and then they realized that would be ridiculous so they gave him up to the police. And now they're all wondering what's going to become of the kid. Maybe they made a mistake. Foster care isn't easy. So he wandered over to this Williamsburg bar to drink while I ate a very unsatisfying iceberg lettuce taco salad. But the conversation was worth the meal. 

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...