Saturday, May 7, 2022

Middle-Age Wunderkind

 When I started off in theatre I was so jealous of the wunderkinds. The hot young emerging talent that sparkled in the magazines and newspapers. Everything seemed like a long slow haul for me. I didn't win anything in theatre until my late 20s. Didn't receive any truly positive reviews until my early 30s (thanks to London press). Published in my mid 30s. First fellowships and commissions also in my mid-30s. Play at the O'Neill in mid 30s. 

The biggest cash prize I ever received was the Helen Merrill and I was 37. At the time I was writing on "This is Us" and driving to the Paramount Lot when I got the shocking awards phone call from the east coast. I won for being an 'emerging' talent. Despite 15 years of obscure basement productions and off-off broadway plays on Equity showcase codes, I was a blossoming young flower lol. Emerald Prize was a year later when I was 38. And so on and so forth. 

Occasionally ppl will come to me with their sad tales of struggle. I hear about artists quitting, getting fed up. Some times I recognize the 'fed up' names as a former wunderkind I admired in my early 20s, people who shot up to meteoric fame in anticipation of their great masterpiece. Some times we talk and they express bitterness at how theatre or tv or film failed them. Theatre never promised me anything but community so my expectations were always low. I was never heralded, acclaimed or expected to do anything so I was not chained to future promise. All I could be was present. All I can be now is present. This is the only place where there is no bitterness or anger at what I expected people to do for me. 

Be present. Your path will unfold quickly or slowly. Your progress will ebb and flow. There will be barren seasons. That's when you plant and water the seeds for future harvests. Thank God that your life isn't just one long spring harvest. Thank God you didn't have meteoric success spoil you at 21 in expectation that the rest of your life would unfold as one long awards banquet in tribute to your genius. Appreciate the ebbs, use the quiet time, leave the party. Go home. Sit and be present. It's someone else's time to be in the spotlight. Be happy for them. Those shiny periods are few and far between. Your harvest is at your time.



No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...