Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Silent Giving

I've been practicing the art of silent giving the last week. No explanation, no 'thank you's' or follow-ups. Just giving and not putting any words to it. To see someone and something as pure is difficult. I feel like we always want a follow-up, a summary, a commitment of where the money is going. The list reduces the purity. The explanation turns what could be holy back into regular donation. Some times it is better to sit with the silence.

Silence in a culture so used to praise, admonishment, condemnation, heroism is difficult. The lack of judgment or 'normal storytelling' can uncomfortable. But I am trying to let that silence wash over me. Let it wash the discomfort, the unease, the need to be appreciated. I am letting it just be so that all the excuses and default thinking can float away. If I maintain the silence, I am leaving room for the divine.

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...