Monday, June 15, 2020

Decade of Theatre Blasphemers 2010-2020

Now that theatre is in a cryogenically frozen state for the next 6-12 months, I've been thinking a lot about the plays I've seen over the last 10 yrs that have just caused 'buzz.' I feel like there should be a social media award for plays that has just generated the most conversation, the most tweets, the most arguments. Usually these are works that posit uncomfortable, controversial, never seen before idea. The award can be called the 'buzzies' or the 'blasphemers' for plays that upset the apple cart and given out every decade to allow for reflection. This does not necessarily mean that these are THE BEST plays (although many of them are outstanding) it just means these are the plays that have kept theatre in the cultural conversation...which is really tough to do. I think my nominations for the decade are....

1. Slave Play - I have never gotten more text, dms, voicemails, and unprompted one-on-one conversations asking for my opinion about a piece.

2. An Octaroon - should've been Broadway bound just based on the theatricality and audacity. The walls literally came down.

3. A Strange Loop - one of the few plays many ppl in black theatre went back and saw 2 and 3 times. And probably going to Broadway.

4. Bootycandy - older white ppl walking out in droves. The work was too gay, too black, too loud. And most of my peers loved that it was something never seen before.

5. The Flick - not a 'loud play' but a play that almost refused to be one or fit in the container of what was appropriate for off-broadway.

Now it should be noted that 4 out of the 5 Buzzies or Blasphemers are by queer black playwrights. Hmmm...that's interesting. Wonder why? 4 of the 5 also dealt with sexuality and race in explicit ways. 3 out of the 5 started at Playwrights Horizon, one began at NYTW, and one started at Soho Rep. These are the plays that caused the most conversation and debate in the last 10 yrs among white, blk, and brown theatre ppl in my circle. The Flick and Bootycandy probably had the most 'I want to talk to your manager' emails from old and outraged subscribers. They also had the most walkouts which-in some way- added to their cache.

Runner Ups

- Hamilton - once again, this isn't about quality or even awards. This is about debate, conversation. I really liked Hamilton but it didn't make ppl run up to me and ask 'what did you think?' It did make ppl ask if I was fortunate enough to catch it (I was) and it what capacity.

- John - old ppl REALLY didn't like this play. I overheard one old subscriber loudly grousing at a diner table about how it was the worst thing he's ever seen...which made me go out and buy it immediately. And I loved it. I could understand why the old heads were frustrated by the complete unwillingness of Annie Baker to do the 'theatre tricks' ppl expect.

- The Skittles Play - just for sheer audacity, surreal humor, and absurdity, this deserves a place. It was a cultural event if you were able to make one of the 2 performances on Super Bowl Sunday.
I wonder what are other ppl's Blasphemers of the 2010-2020 decade? What are the ones that made ppl reach out to you and ask for your opinion? Once again, this does not mean you had to have liked the play or hated the play. This is just about works that triggered conversation, debate, and reflection.

Additions (by friends)
Fairview - the ending definitely upset the apple cart on race and how ppl are seen and not seen.

Heroes of the Fourth Turning - so many angry old subscribers. So many! Personally I loved this play and it reminded me how I almost never see a portrayal of republican Christians on stage that isn’t a parody ridiculing them.

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...