Friday, January 3, 2020

Stuff I Know...Besides Being Black

Yesterday, a black writer posted that they were tired of only getting invitations to panel discussions about diversity. I can relate. I'm black, and I know things outsides of my racial identity. But often, I have no place to exercise and stretch these interests with others. I write these blog posts and keep a journal to keep from going mad. But I don't really get invitations to talk about anything significant...except race.

Now don't get me wrong: it's an honor to be the 'representative of blackness' and to try to right some of the wrongs of the past. But I am bigger and bolder than how I am viewed by the white gaze.

Stuff I’ve Been Asked To Speak About That I Don’t Know
-prison boxing
-rapping in prison
- rapping in the hood and ending up in prison
-Africa...no, not a country. Just...you know, the United States of Africa that exist in many ppl’s imagination.
-what black ppl are planning to do about stuff? (Guys, I’m not sharing the notes from our last black meeting...stop trying to trick me into telling you our plans to take over...oops, I’ve said too much!!)

Stuff I Know...Besides Race
-sci fi
-quantum physics
- some pre-Buddhist Eastern philosophy
-Buddhism
- 19th century Russian lit
-film, tv
- Miami
- violin stuff
- tennis
- forensic debate
- theatre (yes black theatre but also just...American theatre)
- queer lit and film theory
- Marxism
- politics
- the timeline history of WW I and WW 2
- American Revolution
-military equipment (childhood obsession)
- ants (also childhood obsession)
-bees

Stuff You Know I Know
- yes, okay...black stuff!
- how much people love THE WATCHMEN
-yes I knew about the Tulsa massacre before the show
- inner city high school stuff
- identity politics
- sports culture
- how to play spades...poorly...so don’t ask me to be on your team unless you enjoy losing
- ppl named Jamal (be specific...unless this is a panel about the Jamal!)
- Pootie Tang

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...