Saturday, December 17, 2022

Having a Conversation at the Dinner Table

 Experiencing the social phenomenon of ppl communicating to me through social media or memes one-level removed. A few days ago I had dinner with a bunch of ppl and the conversation kept getting interrupted by someone pulling out their phone and showing me something on Twitter or Tik tok or Instagram (surprisingly not FB b/c this is for old ppl.) 

Them: Hey, how are you?

Me: I'm good, how are-

Them: -speaking of 'good,' did you see this Tik Tok about 'good' as a racist construct?' 

Me: No, I'm not on-

Them: -let me pull it up. *opening up phone*

Me (waiting): ....ok...well...how are you? You doing...

Them *still pulling up video*: ...hmmm...wifi must be slow here.

Me: Well never mind, you can show it to me later, so- 

Them: -oh, wait this video is funnier. It's a remix of Urkel in Family Matters. *showing me the video*

Me: Yep. That's funny with no context in my life or this situation we're experiencing in real time. 

It didn't feel like I was talking to humans. I would be asked a question and then someone else would interrupt with amusing stuff on phones. I was talking to the living/breathing embodiments of Twitter and Tik Tok, these twitchy bodies running toward the next attention-grabbing thing. Not staying long enough to establish any rapport. 

It was surreal. At a certain point I started watching myself...inside Twitter. It felt like I was involuntarily put in a Twitter bubble by the ppl I surrounded myself with at this dinner. And I didn't know how to get out of this bubble without being rude or getting up from the table and leaving.

No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...