Friday, January 1, 2021

A Year Without Sugar

 365 days w/o processed sugar. I started off trying to do a month. Then two months. Then the virus swooped in and I thought it would be interesting to abstain from sugar until the 'rona ended..which would probably around April or May 2020, right? LOLOLOL. Sugar weakens my immune system and -in the middle of the global virus pandemic- I was trying to boost my body. That meant taking doses of Vitamins C, D, Zinc, NAC, Glutathione, wearing masks, staying at home, and no processed sugar. 

As a child I would wake up every morning with the sniffling, coughing, sneezing. I thought it was just my morning allergies. It wasn't. It was sugar.  When I ate bread, pasta, fruit, or processed sugar in the evening I would wake up the following morning with sniffles or trouble breathing. And since I usually had some combination of carbs, processed sugar and/or dessert at night I would wake up feeling the same. I thought the condition required some anti-histamines. Some ppl suggested that I control my body's reaction by adding allergy medication on top of it so that I continue to eat sugar...which would surely lead to diabetes and then require more medication to control insulin. Diabetes leads to heart disease which then requires more medication and so on and so forth. It's like starting a fire in a house and trying to control the blaze by moving the furniture, building a moat around it problem, changing the direction of the AC...while continually throwing wood at the flames. But what if I just stopped throwing wood at the fire...or rather what if I threw less wood? Look, I'm not trying to be a health nut or have a perfect diet, so what if I just threw less sugar at the fire in my body? Well shocking news: the fire dies down. The sniffles, coughing, all the associated problems go away. Skin clears up, head clears up, more focus, muscles fill in.

After a year I am thinking 'what's next?' This virus isn't going away any time soon. At the same time, I don't know about committing to NEVER EVER having white sugar again. That may be a bit too crazy. For now, I can continue to abstain. But I should try removing more fuel for my ailments. So for the month of January I'm going to try...no bread. 

Bread: biscuits, dumplings, croissants, sandwiches, ciabatta and -sure why not- add in crackers. This shouldn't be as hard as processed sugar b/c I don't eat bread every day. But i love LOVE LOVE it. Or I think I do. I've bought into the story that bread is delicious and therefore my reward. So I'm going to try to find a reward in something else...for one month. Just 30 days. And then see what happens.


No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...