Friday, November 5, 2021

Healthcare Story

On Wednesday afternoon I buy a Fed Ex mini-cooling box. It has to be delivered by Thursday b/c there isn't  a lot of time. The box arrives Thursday. I hopped on subway and headed to a specific Duane Reade pharmacy. I requested medication and the pharmacist warned me that it needed to refrigerated immediately. I showed her the refrigerated delivery box I brought with me and she shook her head like 'this is too much.' Ripping open the packaging, I pressed the start button on the box which gives us a 48 hr window of cooling. I take out the cooling system, shove in medication inside, repack box. Then I ran to a nearby Fed Ex. Fed Ex worker was a bit freaked out and didn't want to help ship an active box until I repeatedly show him the label on the side of the box which clearly read 'Fed Ex...this is you...this is literally the box your company makes. You have to deliver this.' The box costs $100 and shipping the box within its cooling window costs another $100. The box is shipped off to a friend in rural America who is taking care of their parents. The insurance, prescriptions, and loopholes mean that they can't transfer prescriptions. The medication runs out by Friday (today). 

As I run around town my limp returns. Some times on cold days it returns to me. Eleven years ago I fell down a flight of stairs. I didn't have health insurance. You just walk that shit off. I finally paid to go to Urgent Care Center. The doctor spent 45 seconds with me. He looked at my leg and said 'you need surgery.' That'll be $125 please. I went to a doctor who repeatedly kept thinking I wanted plastic surgery. I finally broke down and went doctor said you have to get a scan of the leg. I got the scan, followed up, nothing. The test results disappeared. I'm told to repeat all the steps over again starting off with the doctor who is itching to give you some plastic surgery. I paid out of pocket for acupuncture. it's the only thing accessible to me and affordable at the time. I went to training center in Florida for acupuncture students because it's even cheaper to have someone experiment on you. The acupuncture helped a lot...but I still walk with a limp some times while running around New York City to deliver medication to a friend in rural America. I go back to an acupuncturist today.

1 comment:

Alex Williamson said...

This Content is very useful for those students who want to Study In the USA because Canada has become an ideal place for higher education studies. Thanks for sharing this one with us. Hope you will continue to share this type of blog again.
student apartments near royal military college of canada

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...