Thursday, February 4, 2021

Golden Globes: Negations and Nominations

 If your favs were nominated for a Golden Globe, then that's great. CELEBRATE. If you they weren't nominated for a Golden Globe, then that's great! CELEBRATE your work. There is no downside. Awards are great. But being able to do the work during these uncertain times is even greater. Beyonce's "Lemonade" album lost to Adele. I like Adele. I like Beyonce. The value of "Lemonade" is neither diminished or increased by a Grammy. Nor do I feel the need to beat up on Adele's great album. It's an award. 

"A Raisin in the Sun" lost the Pulitzer to a play titled "JB." No disrespect, but I have never seen a production of JB. No one discounts "Raisin" b/c it failed to capture the imagination of an awards committee in 1959. 

Celebrate the nominees. But blk ppl, poc, women know the game. There is nothing to be said about white gatekeeper awards: if you get them then that's great and if you don't...oh well. It's not a mortgage to keep your kids off the street or a loan to save the community center. It's an award. Enjoy and let the rest of that 'ish' roll off you. 

I have a shelf of awards from my school daze. To be honest, I barely remember the 'competition' for stuff. Nor do I remember much about all the awards I lost.

 It's not Zen. It is just time. Time is a great organizer of perspective and priorities. You won't remember this stuff years from now. So just enjoy what you can while you can.

Now I'm going to watch "40 Yr Old Version" and "I May Destroy You." again.

No comments:

Get What You Want: May 2024

  1. THE ACADEMY NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: May 1, 2024 WEBSITE: https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about Each year, the Academy Nicholl scree...