Saturday, January 29, 2022

Prayers to POC Playwrights in MFA Programs

 I wish you a long painful road to knock all that baby soft poseur shit out of you. I wish that you fall on your face many times over again..preferably in front of others. I wish you razor blade discernment to cut through 99% of the mediocrity that fills the awards season. I wish you challenging colleagues and friends. I wish you the ability to spot weak souls whose primary focus is to be nice. I wish that you find at least one person who loves you deeply enough to tell you the truth...even at the risk of fights and arguments...maybe even 2 or 3 ppl brave enough to make you a better artist and not just a more vicious troll. I wish you rocks in the road, terrible jobs, unpredictable bosses, unstable relatives, duplicity in love, dirt, flat tires along the way, many half-cooked stories and false starts. This is all the material necessary to break your heart and keep breaking it until it stays open. And most importantly I wish you wisdom enough to not hide this damage. Wisdom to know that all these things were nothing that I wanted at the time, but turned out to be everything that I needed.  

And PS: after a few years, nobody cares about your MFA.

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...